- Know your hair type
The curl/coil pattern determines the hair type.
2.Know the porosity level of your hair. The simple method of testing porosity to get a rough idea is by filling a regular glass with water and then immersing your hair strand for 10+minutes. If it floats,then it is low porosity,which means your hair is not taking up enough water.If it sinks to the middle of the glass,then the hair is of medium porosity.
If it settles at the bottom of the glass, then it is high porosity,meaning that it takes up as much water as possible and can easily lose it at the same rate if dried and therefore moisture needs to be sealed in.
3. You will determine the financial demands of your own hair.
You are the one to decide on what products to use, people who DIY products and styling normally spend less compared to those who will choose to buy lots of products or go to salons all the time.
4.Do your research on the accessibility of products depending on your location.
5.Expect Societal acceptance challenges
People will be fascinated about your hair or find it different and will ask a lot of questions and will touch it with or without asking
6. Your might have to DIY (do it yourself ) if your location has no natural hair salons. You will have to do your own twisting, braiding e.t.c to beat shrinkage during washdays or even protective styling
7.Have a night routine to maximize moisture retention.
8.Your hair is just as unique as you, What works for another person might not work for you! Study your hair everyday, it is a process to know what your hair wants and what really works for your hair, you will Have to keep trying products, methods etc Huh!? What if your hair was to have allergies?Who will know? -only you! For example your hair could be protein sensitive and you have to know that.
9.Your lifestyle affects your hair health, remember hair is just like any other body organ. Be sure to eat healthy and keep fit,hair loves vitamins and minerals.
- Being natural is not a fashion trend, it is a way of life.
11. Natural hair hates chemicals such as silicones,ammonia, sulphates etc. Those chemicals are present in our everyday shampoos, conditioners,hair colouring dyes/treatments etc. Prolonged heat treatments such as blow drying or flat ironing does not do our hair any good either but damages it. Our hair hates tension brought by combing, weaving, braiding, tight buns etc if this tension continues throughout life it may lead to traction alopecia or permanent hair loss caused by constant pulling out of new hair from their follicles.
- Most importantly your basic tools are pickers wide-toothed comb (optional) , spray bottles, mixing bowls and bobby pins.
I use a wide toothed comb on wet hair during my conditioning process to detangle my hair. For the picker,just gently pick my hair at the roots ONLY to blend in the hair for my twist outs.
Thank you for reading the hair lover’s forum, please comment, like and share ,Let us know your basic care to your natural hair.
With bobby pins, I am able to style my hair as I want